Learning Ukulele 50 Sites Top 50 Ukulele Sites Argapa Ukuleles - one size louder: Planing the neck blanks

Friday, August 14, 2015

Planing the neck blanks

This'll be a short post but I only managed to steal a few short moments last night and this morning. I do it the same way every time. First I plane the mating surface for the fretboard so it was flat and true. Then I work the headstock so it only shifts in the one direction, a pair of winding sticks on the heel and headstock should still be parallel. 

Planes in this picture are numbers 6 and 4 1/2.


I then measure the top surface from the nut location to the heel. I need 185 millimetres for 13 frets, and if the top surface is overly long I take more off from the headstock. If it's too short I plane it down some more, focusing on the nut end. Of course the thickness of the headstock must be such as to allow this, but it usually is from sawing the blank with some margin. 

When I've got my 185 mm where I want them, checking so I have enough meat left in the heel for the barrel bolt, I scribe lines. Usually I make a centreline too but I don't need that with the skunk stripe. 

Planes in this picture are numbers 6, 4 1/2 and 3.


No comments: